Sunday 9 May 2010

Star Inn, Harome

This is a big one. This sort of restaurant is one of the reasons we started this blog. It's had a Michelin star for several years, and in our quest to visit at least all of the starred places in Yorkshire, we'd been wanting to go for as long as we've been interested in eating out. A few months ago I saw it on the Hairy Bikers' tour of the UK;  the chef cooked a duck dish with lots of small duck based things, each on a little mound of mash. I really liked the look of it and was hoping it was on the menu. I was in luck. I had it as my main and it was spectacular.

From left to right it was duck liver, breast, leg, egg and sausage, each a delight.

Mary had asparagus soup followed by fillet steak. The full descriptions are on the menu:


I have saved the best until last though. I chose the starter entitled "A plate of Star Inn delicacies....Classics from the Harome Hall of Fame". I'm thinking of starting a little side box listing our favourite single courses ever - this one, for me, goes in at number one.




When I ordered I didn't know that both my dishes would be presented in the same way, but after I had this one I almost wanted to cancel the main and have this one again. There was pickled white fish with potato salad, a crab salad, a yorkshire pudding in unctious gravy, a quails egg (possibly) on pressed pork, a bit like a scotch egg, and a black pudding and liver thing with caramelised apple. If it had been called a tasting menu, it wouldn't have been a bad description. Every mouthful was perfect. We shall return.




No comments:

Post a Comment